An orthopedic surgeon specializes in the management of acute and chronic conditions of the musculoskeletal system. When primary care doctors recognize that patients’ orthopedic diseases or injuries are too advanced for the primary care setting, they refer to orthopedic specialists, and patients enjoy a whole host of benefits.
Here are just some of them.
Expert Assessment And Treatment of Injuries And Conditions
Healthy adults can see their PCPs or urgent care providers for treatment of minor aches, sprains, and joint stiffness. However, when symptoms alter the ability to function and enjoy life, you need the refined assessment and treatment skills of a board-certified orthopedic surgeon.
Most orthopedic surgeons take fellowship training in subspecialties, such as sports medicine or hand surgery, giving individuals access to the highest level of musculoskeletal care. Examples of diseases and conditions treated by an orthopedic surgeon are:
- Rotator cuff tears in the shoulder
- Inflammatory plantar fasciitis of the foot
- Tendonitis in the elbow and ankle
- Fractures and dislocations
- Deformities, such as clubfoot
- Carpal tunnel syndrome in the wrist
- Degenerative and herniated discs in the back
- Torn meniscus and ligaments in the knee
Individualized, Holistic Care Plans
Orthopedic surgeons offer surgical solutions, such as total joint replacement and arthroscopic (small incision) repair. They also employ a ton of non-surgical treatments. The orthopedic field also excels at evaluating the needs and therapeutic goals of the entire person–that is, how can the doctor improve the individual’s:
- Ability to do work and home tasks
- Athletic skills through proper training
- Level of pain
In other words, orthopedic surgeons work toward their patients’ overall wellness and functionality. No two care plans are the same. Musculoskeletal care is highly personalized, adjustable, and focused on patient goals and input.
Orthopedic surgeons help prevent injuries and degenerative conditions whenever possible. Or, if a patient already has a problem, such as arthritis, the doctor will first work to slow its progression, strengthen areas of the body that lend support to injured areas, and show the patient ways to perform their activities of daily living safely.
Preventive strategies can include:
- Weight management to reduce stress and strain on bones and joints
- Smoking cessation
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Physical therapies, such as ice, heat, electrical stimulation (TENS), massage, and more
- Assistive devices, such as canes, walkers, orthotics, and braces
- Wearing the right equipment during athletic pursuits (well-fitting shoes appropriate to the sport and bike helmets)
- Injection therapy to improve symptoms
Best Orthopedic Care in Walnut Creek, CA
Dr. Timmerman is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon with more than three decades of experience. She is also fellowship-trained in sports medicine and has a keen interest in boosting the health and performance of athletes of all levels. She offers the innovative Regenokine program, which speeds tissue regrowth, controls pain and stiffness, and gives athletes a healthy edge in training and on the playing field.
To learn more about what a highly experienced orthopedic surgeon can do for you, contact our office at (925) 952-4080, or request your visit online. You’ll receive top-notch care, which is focused on you and your needs.