Meet the Provider
Dr. Laura A. Timmerman
Dr. Laura A. Timmerman is a highly sought-after orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine. Whether you are a high school or college student, Dr. Timmerman has helped athletes of all levels for over 30 years. Her patients include Olympic gold medalists, professional athletes, and weekend warriors alike.
Dr. Timmerman is known for her impeccable surgical skills, her caring bedside manner, and her dedication to getting her patients back to their best. Apart from treating her patients, she has contributed to countless scholarly publications and presentations in an attempt to raise the standards of sports medicine care across the US.
Dr. Timmerman completed her bachelor’s degree from the University of California (UC), Berkley, majoring in neurobiology, and completed her medical degree from UC Davis in 1986. Following medical school, she completed her orthopaedic residency from UC Davis Medical Center and became a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon 1991.
Her interest in sports medicine took her to Alabama, where she did a fellowship training in sports medicine from the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama. After acquiring further training in the field of sports medicine and publishing various research papers, Dr. Timmerman returned to practice in her hometown of Walnut Creek, California.
Dr. Timmerman has been trained in a procedure that originated in Germany called Regenokine® treatment and she has a state-of-the-art lab certified by Germany. Regenokine® treatment is based on the principle that the body's immune system can be harnessed to treat certain conditions. Dr. Timmerman is one out of only a handful of physicians in the United States who is trained and specialized in this treatment.
Dr. Timmerman is a renowned orthopaedic name across the US. Although she was part of many regional orthopaedic boards and committees, her expertise prompted her to be appointed to several national level orthopaedic and sports medicine committees.
- 1996 - American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Fellow
- 1996 – The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, Active Member
- 1996 - Arthroscopy Association of North America, Active Member
- 2000 - Council of Delegates, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- 2001 - The Forum, Active Member
- 1978-1982 - University of California Alumni Scholar
- 1982-1985 - Richard B. Irvine, M.D. Memorial Scholarship Award
- 1986 - Ishiyaku-Euro American Scholarship Award
- 1986 - American Medical Women's Association Outstanding Student
- 1986 - Paul R. Lipscomb Award for Excellence in Orthopaedics
- 1986 - Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, junior year
- 1986 - Phi Beta Phi Honor Society
- 1991- UC Davis Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Outstanding Resident
- 1993 - 3-M Basic Science Research Award, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, "The Histologic and Arthroscopic Anatomy of the Ulnar Collateral Ligament of the Elbow".
- 1993 - American Association of Medical Council, Professional Development Seminar, Junior Faculty Women in Medicine in Charleston, S. Carolina.
Dr. Laura Timmerman has published over 40 papers and presented more than 100 times across many prestigious platforms nationally and internationally. Some of the recent publications of Dr. Timmerman include:
- 2002: Dugas JR, Crockett H, Eaton K, Paletta, GA, Timmerman" L: The Thrower's Shoulder. Part II. A Surgical Discussion. Am J of Ortho 3l 6:356-364.
- 2005: Timmerman. L.A.: Editor Elbow Instability in Instructional Course Lectures & Sports Medicine. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- 2005: Marder, R.A., Hopkins, Jr, G., and Timmerman, L.A.: Arthroscopic Microfracture of Chondral Defects of the Knee: A Comparison of Two Postoperative Treatments. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, 21 (2):152-158.
- 2014: Timmerman, LA: Elbow Arthroscopy, in : Operative Orthopaedics, 4tl'Edition, Lippincott.
- 2018: Timmerman, LA: Use of the Tightrope BTB for ACL Reconstruction. in: The Anterior Cruciate Ligament: Reconstruction and Basic Science, 2"d Ed. In Press, Elsevier.
When it comes to orthopaedic presentations, Dr. Timmerman has presented the following:
- 2013 Director of Course Knee, Shoulder, and Elbow Surgery. Arthrex Lab, Naples, FL, January 17
- 2013 Surgical Techniques for Knee and Elbow Surgery, Naples, FL, January 17
- 2013 Elbow Injuries and Surgical Techniques. The Forum Annual Meeting, Naples, FL, January 18
- 2014 All Inside BTB ACL Reconstruction. Arthrex Sports Medicine Faculty Forum. Naples, FL, January 11
- 2016: Al1 Inside BTB ACL Reconstruction. The Forum Annual Meeting. Phoenix, AZ Jan 18
- 2014 All Inside BTB ACL Reconstruction, Arthrex Website:."www.arthrex.com”. August.
- 2015 Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction. Arthrex Website: “www.arthrex.com”. January.
Dr. Laura Timmerman is an orthopaedic surgeon who is passionate about providing top-notch care and innovative solutions in the field of orthopaedics. She strives to provide the best possible care for her patients, using the latest advances in orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine.
In addition to her professional goals, Dr. Timmerman is also committed to giving back to the community through her work with local charities and medical research. As a result, she is a highly respected member of the orthopaedic community who is dedicated to improving the lives of her patients and making a difference in the world of medicine.
If you need a professional, experienced, and holistic orthopaedic care provider, look no further! Dr. Timmerman has over 3 decades of experience and is a highly specialized orthopaedic provider. From Olympic athletes to varsity champions, she has successfully helped many athletes in Walnut Creek, California, and across the country. To receive a personalized consultation please call us at (925) 952-4080 or request an appointment online.